Thursday, August 31, 2006

Not so Shocking

Along with the rest of the MTV generation I watched the VMAs tonight and I was reminded of how they used to close the show with a performance by Marilyn Manson. They did this at least two years in a row, right around the time that I started really watching MTV. I never particularly liked his music and I'm not sure that there were a whole lot of Gen Y-ers that did, but he had HUGE shock factor. Shock factor is really what MTV was built upon (oh and a bit of music). But it's really hard to shock us these days.

What is MTV to do now?

I bring this up b/c it makes me wonder if the world will spin back around and people will start pulling their inhibitions back in. It's probably more likely that there is something out there that will shock the hell out of me and I just don't know it yet. Which is pretty scary when you think about it.

No comments: