Monday, August 07, 2006

Go Guard!

Why does an itunes download seem so much more valuable than an actual dollar? I got a card for a free itunes download last time I went to the movies, and I just spent like 10 minutes on the National Guard website redeeming it. Now if they would have told me they were going to send me a dollar for reading all this crap about the National Guard there is no way in hell I would have done it. So either I'm just an idiot, or itunes should be charging more than a dollar per song.

I have two more cards, but you can't redeem more than one in a 24 hour period. I guess we'll soon see how far the rabbit hole goes. Oddly enough I've never read Alice in Wonderland. I believe I just thought it was wierd when I was a kid. Which for adults it's obviously a satire, but for kids it's just supposed to be so crazy wierd it's fun. I never got that stuff when I was a kid. I guess I've always been hard to impress (except when it comes to itunes music downloads).

One thing I love is when kids movies can appeal to kids on one level and adults on a totally different level. To this day I LOVE Mary Poppins, but of course it's not even close to the same movie it was when I was a kid. It's wierd how your perception of something you've loved when you were young can change as you grow older. It doesn't really even have to be that drastic of a period of time. The first time I read Gone With the Wind in high school I was all about Ashley, now I love Rhett Butler. It makes me wonder how I would have felt about stuff as a kid that I didn't discover until I was an adult. Like Harry Potter. Would I have loved those books when I was ten? When I was ten I loved Laura Ingalls Wilder and Anne of Green Gables, and I still love both of those.

Did this entry start out about the National Guard? Sometimes I scare myself a bit. When I was a kid we had a picture window in our front room. I could sit in front of that window and stare out at the street thinking for much longer than I should have been able to. I wonder what would have become of me if I didn't have such a practical streak to pull my head out of the clouds?

No comments: