Tuesday, November 29, 2011

29


Today is my twenty-ninth birthday.  It's actually a pretty significant birthday, although I try not to make a big deal of these things.  (Is there anything more obnoxious than someone who makes a huge deal about their own birthday?)  It's significant for all the typical reasons: last year of my twenties, ect.  It's significant to me personally because it sort of feels like the last age I ever pictured myself being.

It's always been a running joke in our family that my mom is 29.  When my brother and I were younger she had us trained to say that she was 29 when anyone asked.  To her 29 was the last acceptable age and she made the totally rational decision to stick there.  As someone who has been 22 for the last 6 years I can relate to that choice.

So, I guess you could say this is the last year before uncharted territory.  (Even my own mother hasn't made it to thirty!)  Realistically every passing birthday leads us into place we have never been but 30 is a place I didn't even allow myself to imagine.  Luckily I do have an entire year to figure out how to be 30- or at least 29 days in November of 2012, since I will likely be putting it off until then.

No comments: