Monday, January 02, 2012

New Day's Resolution


I haven't made any New Year's resolutions for several years.  Contrary to my popular belief this is not because I am a perfect and beautiful snowflake just the way I am.  Rather, this is because New Year's resolutions suck balls.  There is nothing worse then starting off a new year by summarily disappointing yourself in the first 30 days.

Think of a truly great problem.  I think a truly huge problem would be, "I'm a raging alcoholic," or "I stole my mother's gold necklace to pay for crack at Christmas dinner."  How do people solve these truly big problems?  One day at a time.  I've seen enough TV and movies to know that with regard to AA and NA it's all about taking things one day at a time.  The lack of one day at a time is why New Year's resolutions are so impossible.  This year I am going to...  That's a 365 day commitment.  Honestly I don't even want to commit to going to a movie with you this weekend when you call me on Monday.

So my New Year's resolution is more of a new day's resolution and it is "make good decisions today."  That's it.  If I fail I will start again tomorrow.  If today I find myself crying in a corner with  750ml of vodka or in the back seat with my lips around a crack pipe then tomorrow I will do better.   It's managable.
I do really want this to be my year for doing this living thing right.  However a year, 365 days is just too freaking overwhelming.  But 24 hours is immensely doable.  (If not this 24, then the next 24 for sure.)

No comments: