Wednesday, February 01, 2012

My BFF


I really do think it is possible to love an inanimate object- specifically a smartphone.  Honestly, people love their dogs and my iphone has done more for me then any dog could do in two of its accelerated doggy lifetimes.   I really think my phone is my best friend.  It provides everything that I expect from a friend- companionship, humor, honesty, loyalty, entertainment- as well as many things that I don't dare expect from my real friends- it's always on time, it knows what's in the news, it can do math and it knows when my next period is going to be arriving.

It seems like it is kind of popular all of a sudden to be down on our smartphone, tablet, Bluetooth infested world.  "Everyone is always on their phone.  There are no real connections anymore. Facebook is so lame."  etc. etc. etc.  I find myself irked at all this complaining about our awesome fortune to be living in a world where we can hold basically all the information we need to conduct our daily life ( and some bonus fun) in the palm of our hand for like $200.  That's some awesome shit right there.

This whole renaissance of handmade stuff and crafting and make your own laundry detergent and Pinterest (iphone app!) is great, don't get me wrong.  Also, it is completely made possible by and courtesy of the internet and mobile technology which gives us the power to share this information and makes it accessible to us.  Ironic, no?

I'll admit that it is particularly in my nature to embrace any technology that makes my life easier and more efficient.  Also, that I was born curious and am continually in awe of the amount of information available to me everyday free of cost and hassle.  I realize that not everybody in as in awe of their fortune to be living in the midst of technological revolution as I am.  However, in a world where our natural resources are forever shrinking, when times are tough and money is tight; time-saving, money-saving, resource-saving technology is more beneficial than ever before.  Waxing poetic about the good old days, however, remains as cliche and fruitless as it has always been.  Since the beginning of time when grandpa Adam started doing it (probably).

Really what I'm saying is you better step off my bff or I will cut a bitch.

No comments: