Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Self Destruction

I am somewhat past the age of outgrowing things.  I will always love Fight Club and quote Tyler Durdan.  I will buy the next Eminem album.  Speak ill of Britney Spears and I will give you a primer on how she is the greatest pop star of all time (Madonna, as if!).

Perhaps I have become an old dog, as in, I lack new tricks.  Which, I might be willing to accept if not for the fact that self-improvement is the current flavor of the moment.  New tricks are required.

Standing by as everyone else gets better and you stay the same basically sucks.   Unfortunately the alternative is self-improvement.  Self improvement is unfortunate on many levels; it requires you to be cognizant of your own flaws, it requires you to confront the things that are most difficult for you and, perhaps the worst, it requires you to put in additional effort beyond your current course load of tasks and obligations.

The award for self-improvement is constant adoration from others of the fact that you no longer suck like you used to along with requests for the nonexistent secrets to your success.  I'm pretty convinced that all fad diets, fad workouts, self help seminars and the like just came from people getting sick of their friends, coworkers and acquaintances asking them "how they did it" and resorting to making shit up.

What cinches the ultimate suckage of the whole self-improvement thing is, for the most part, it is positive and good for you.  Well crap.

It seems that now is as good of a time as any to confess that I really have no point regarding this subject, just complaints.

I assure you, I'm working on it.


No comments: