Wednesday, April 11, 2007

It's weird how people have dreams...

Ever see the celebrity telling kids that *my dreams came true so can yours*? Ignoring the obvious fallacy in logic, is this not the biggest bunch of bullshit you have ever heard? The thing is...people tell you that you can do whatever you want when you are a kid. When I was a kid I thought I was going to go to Harvard. I went to a small private university with less students than my high school that my dad had attended roughly 25 years earlier. I was going to be #1 in my lawschool class, I'm not even #100. Life is damn disappointing people.

Maybe it's important to tell kids they can reach their dreams so they will be confident and happy and they will actually try to accomplish things. However I do think that when we all turn 25 and realize we are not, in fact, going to be the next Britney Spears that she should personally apologise for misleading us. We can't all be famous, influential and "great." Not even most of us can be these things. We can be good at something. We can be influential to someone. We can make a small mark on our part of the world, but most will not become infamous.

It's kind of hard to realize early in life that you are not where you pictured when you were 10 years old. Still, it's easier than continuing to believe you can make all your dreams come true and figuring out at forty that you can't. But back to the first point. In the beginning we believe that we can make it because others have before us. Those few that do, and tell others they can too, are true dreamers. They are the dreamers that still believe at forty when everything told them to quit at twenty-five. So we are left with this: 1% of true dreamers reach their own personal stars, but 99% don't. Therein lies the problem. For the chance to be part of the great 1%, you must risk being one of the disappointed 99%.

No comments: