Friday, December 01, 2006

Snow Day

So no class today. That's nice. In honor of the snow day much of the Midwest's students are enjoying, I thought I'd share a story.

I think I've mentioned before that up until high school I lived in a very small town (population 2000 or so). Snow days were a fairly common annual occurrence given that it usually snows a few times a year in the Ozarks and many of the town's students lived in rural areas outside the city limits that became inaccessible by bus during inclimate weather. The final decision as to whether school would be cancelled or not rested with the Superintendent of schools. A man who just happened to live right across the street from my family.

Early one winter morning my brother and I woke up to a white world. We were hoping for a snow day but it was a hard call, only a couple inches of snow. We camped out in front the tv, closings scrolling across the screen, visions of snowball fights instead of Math, English and History dancing in our heads. Still no word. My dad came in the back door chuckling.

"There's not going to be any school today kids," he said with a big grin on his face.

"How do you know," we protested. The TV says...

"I was out getting the paper and I saw the Superintendent checking on the roads. He came out of the house, up the driveway, into the street and promptly slipped and fell flat on his back. There's not going to be any school today."

And there wasn't.

No comments: