Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Welcome to my World

So everyone has their little idiosyncrasies. On the surface I am very normal (as much as anyone can be "normal" as we say, but thats a different topic for a different day), but as I said we all have our little "quirks" if you will. Mine include liking Harry Potter more than the ordinary person, an unhealthy addiction to teenage agnst based television (Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, The O.C. anyone?), an extremely corny sense of humor, and a tendency to make little references in conversation that others tend not to understand, e.g. A friend says, "Look what that woman is wearing." I reply, "Fashion victim for 400 Alex." It is obvious to me and select others that this is a jepordy reference, but many find these comments confusing, abrupt, and generally out of context.
In addition to all this I am hopelessly boring. I don't party, in the sense that I don't like clubs and I rarely enjoy getting drunk. My idea of a fun Friday night is catching a movie with a friend or hanging out, drinking beer and playing a good game of Texas Hold 'Em. Ocassionally I like to hit a bar, but only to hear a band that doesn't require me to dance and only if the crowd isn't "nut to butt" is my friend Josh is fond of saying, i.e. not too crowded.
Okay folks, heres where I come to the point (in case you were beginning to wonder if there was one). Sometimes I can be a little "different". Friends have been tempted to call me a word that I absolutley despise...wierd. I hate the word wierd. Wierd is for serial killers. I am quirky...not wierd. Hence the name of this blog. I am very firm on this.
To clear up any confusion, a classic example of the difference between wierd and quirky. Quirky is anyone over the age of thirteen going to Barnes and Noble at midnight on July 16 to wait in line for the new Harry Potter book. Wierd is anyone over the age of thirteen going to Barnes and Noble at midnight on July 16 to wait in line for the new Harry Potter book dressed as Dumbledore, complete with robes, flowing white hair and beard, and wand. Quirky is "a little off", wierd is extreme. Now that we are all clear on that, enjoy my world.

No comments: