Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Yeats was in the Irish Mafia?

William Butler Yeats said, "Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart. O when may it suffice?"

Granted this quote was at the beginning of The Black Donnelly's tonight, which isn't the most profound place to get a quote. Still, it's pretty darn true. We all only have so much to give. I know I've had a person in my life who took so much that by the time I was done with my "sacrifice" I felt pretty indifferent toward them.

That's the kind of mistake that you only make once. A sacrifice so long that it teaches us a lesson about giving too much of ourself away. Too long a sacrifice does make a stone of the heart. A giving heart. Then again, maybe it's because we give for the wrong reasons, we sacrifice expecting something in return. Is this type of sacrifice really a true sacrifice at all? Maybe there's no such thing sacrifice too long if you aren't expecting something...some reaction in return.

No comments: