Saturday, February 18, 2006

"Life is short, but wide."

A quote from Rebecca Wells in Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, which, despite what the butchered movie version might convey, is an immensley thought provoking, touch you down to your toes kind of book. What do the words mean? To me: you may not have a lot of time, but you have a lot of room to experiment. A kind of "stay the course" philosophy on life, if you will.


You can't read this book without thinking about your mother and thinking about what it really means to be a mother. If you never truly appreciated how much children can suck every last ounce of life and energy from a women then you will. Also as a child you will be forced to examine how what your parents did to you, with you, to each other, to themselves made you who you are today. Nurture over nature anyone?


This is territory I have already traveled. I had a pretty perfect childhood so mostly its, "thank God I have my parents and not someone elses (really doesn't make sense does it?)." Don't worry though if you don't have much to blame your parent's for...its extremely fun to turn this introspection onto others (for you, I mean, not them).

No comments: