Monday, May 15, 2006

Two steps forward...

Tomorrow is the last day (last exam) of my first year of law school. Taken alone it's quite an accomplishment. A year of a professional degree is something that not a lot of people accomplish, and, of course, it makes me that much closer to being a lawyer. This year, however, gives new meaning to the phrase "two steps forward, one step back."

While I've certainly accomplished something this year, I feel several steps further away from knowing what I want from this "accomplishment" than I did in August. Age has been like this for me. When I graduated from high school I had a clear plan for my life, but over time real life seeps into dreams. No dream lives up to its potential in execution.

In life, as the years have passed, I have gained a lot. Yet the time is approaching when I will have to decide what to do with the spoils. Really, that's what this latest accomplishment means. I draw ever closer to that moment where I have nothing left to do in preparation for life and I actually have to live it.

No comments: